The Loss of a Furry Friend

Hi Everybody.

It's been awhile since my last blog post and I'm sorry that this one won't be Disney related. We have had so much going on in our life that it's been hard to take the time to write out what I am feeling. However, I knew it was necessary to help the healing process along. I apologize for how personal this post may be.

While we have many exciting things coming up in our life(aka our trip to Disneyland in 39 days), we suffered major heartbreak this last weekend. Our little dog passed away. Ellie Mae was my grandma's dog and when she passed away I took her in. I was fortunate enough to love her as fiercely as my grandma did and care for her for the rest of her life. We shared 3 fabulous years together before she passed over the rainbow bridge and my heart aches so bad for her. I know she is in a place where she is feeling no pain and is reunited with my grandma. However, I still go to let her out of the crate when I get home from work, expect her to run to me when I put the food out, and so on.

Dealing with the loss of a beloved pet is hard and almost seems impossible. How do you cope with no longer having that furry companion asking for you to play, for pets or even just to go outside. The smallest action can remind you that there is something miss- a sort of hole. For example; we went on a walk with our other dog and suddenly it hit me that there should be another loving sole walking alongside us.

Among all this heartache, there has been one thing I have realized. Dogs are such a huge part of our life (and us an even larger part of theirs) that when they leave us, we may not know how to heal. This has had me thinking....My sweet Ellie had a heart murmur and had what we now know was a cardiac cough. She was old and went peacefully in her sleep and the night before had asked to get into her crate earlier than normal. Almost as if she had known it was her time to go soon. While we are not yet ready to welcome another furry friend into our home, this has made me realize that in our own time; the loss of our dear friend allows us to welcome a new dog into our home and provide a loving and safe space for a dog who wouldn't have it otherwise. To me..that is beautiful. Our little girl is gone but that does not mean that we cannot welcome a dog in need of a home into our life. In fact, I know that our Ellbell would want us to provide a home for another dog in need just like we did for her.


Thank you to all of those that read this far into such a somber post. I appreciate the support that you are giving me and cannot express my gratitude enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're Going to Disneyland!